Posted on 6/21/2018 by Camille Kustin
Owning A Car In Midtown Sacramento - What You Need To Know
We love being in Midtown and have been here since the early 1980s. In fact, we feel that Paul’s Automotive is synonymous with Midtown, Sacramento. As a result, many of our customers live and/or work locally and drive very little. In fact, I used to be one of those people (before the babies and the necessity of car seats has required me to drive more). I lived, worked, shopped, went out, did everything within a two-mile radius. I barely drove my car; perhaps to Petco, since biking with a 45lb bag of cat litter was not feasible.
I thought, “I hardly ever drive! I don’t need to get anything done until I reach 5,000-miles for an oil change.” It would take me about three years to drive 5,000 miles! Since I started working with Mike at Paul’s Automotive, I’ve discovered that I was woefully misinformed. For you urban dwellers like me out there, who rarely drive, there are still critical things you need done to ensure your car is safe and will last for years. After all, you barely drive, you don’t want to have to buy a new car!!
There are various things that can happen to your car over time, especially if not driven often:
- Oil and other fluids break down due condensation build up;
- Tires lose air and pressure;
- Tires develop flat spots, separate, and crack;
- Windshield wipers crack;
- Hoses and belts crack; and
- Battery’s charge is affected (especially in winter)
If you’re a Midtowner, we don’t expect to see you in the shop several times a year for mileage services or for big repairs, simply because you are not putting thousands of miles on your car. However, we do hope to see you twice a year: at the beginning of the winter and at the beginning of summer. During these visits, we can make sure your car is ready for the season ahead.
After all, two visits a year to ensure the safety and longevity of your car and prevent even more costly repairs down the road is worth it!
Call us for more information on our new Midtowner Service!
Posted on 1/5/2017 by Mike Spellman
2016 was a big year at Paul’s Automotive! For starters, it marked my first full year as owner. After working as a tech for more than 20 years for Paul, I bought the shop from him when he retired in July 2015. It has been quite a transition for me personally and professionally, but I now have the hang of it and am loving my new role. As we look at our goals for 2017, I like to reflect on 2016 and our accomplishments and improvements we made to provide you, our Sacramento-area customers, with the best automotive and customer service experience possible. We accomplished the following:
Hired a service writer team of Brandon Rusciolelli and Anthony Klein to provide you with exceptional customer service. Brandon was soon promoted as the shop General Manager;
Hired two new technicians: Smog tech and electrical expert, Froylan Flores and suspension and engine repair specialist Lee Gonzales. I also hired Camille Kustin as office manager;
Began using Bolt On Technology, which allows us to communicate instantly with you via text message and send you photos and images of what needs to be repaired and courtesy inspection results;
Purchased new equipment and tools to expand the services we provide:
- We are now doing in-house flashing and re-programming of power control models (PCMs) on vehicle computers instead of subletting the work. This means you can get back on the road sooner;
- We have a new, top of the line Snap-On scan tool used to perform diagnostic work;
- We are using new fluid exchange equipment to perform maintenance work for all fluids. We are using BG flush products for fuel injections and fluid exchanges; and
- We have a new Pro-Cut brake lathe to cut the surface of brake rotors to the thousandths of an inch so we can put new brake pads on them. Doing this in-house is also more efficient and saves time.
Installed a new phone system and have a faster internet connection, including WiFi available while you wait;
Posted a new website, complete with photos and comment- and appointment-making tools;
Installed an air conditioning system for hot Sacramento summer months; and
Installed lighting upgrades, including energy-efficient LED lights outside the building.
We are excited for 2017 and are looking forward to furthering our goal of making your automotive experience as enjoyable and worry-free as possible:
- Teach my baby boy and Customer Service Expert, Jackson, how to perform oil changes (he can handle it, he will be turning one year old in May, after all!);
- Upgrade our computer system. It is getting harder for our computers to work with all the advanced technology we are using;
- Overall building upgrades, including a proper service counter, office, and customer waiting room (with a popcorn machine!);
- Purchase an alignment rack, so we can perform alignment work in-house;
- Utilize workflow software, so our service writers and techs can work more efficiently and get the job done more quickly;
- Increase our involvement in the community through participating in neighborhood associations and contributing to local causes.
Is there anything else that you’d like to see us doing? We always welcome feedback! We are looking forward to 2017 and all that it will bring!